OMFT – 2018
Da kurset afholdes på engelsk og nogle af deltagerne forventes at komme fra andre lande end Danmark, vil al tekst vedr. kurset være på engelsk.
What is OMFT?
Orofacial myofunctional therapy is a profoundly useful treatment that may help treat the symptoms of a wide variety of health issues, from opening airways to headaches, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ), to poor digestion, just to name a few. It helps correcting lisps and other articulation problems correcs tongue position for chewing and swallowing. It is also a profound therapy for the treatment of mild to moderate sleep apnea, which is a pervasive problem that affects many.
The therapy includes facial and tongue exercises and behavior modification techniques to promote proper tongue position, improved breathing, chewing, and swallowing. Proper head and neck postures are also addressed. There are good studies to substantiate that it may resolve jaw problems and orthodontic relapse working in a multi-disciplinary team.
Myofunctional therapy is the “neuromuscular re-education or re-patterning of the oral and facial muscles.”
Anatomy and Physiology of the oro-facial complex
- Relationship between speech-pathology, dentistry, orthodontics, ENT problems related to OMFT, gnathology and the importance of this knowledge in relation to diagnostics and therapy of oro-myofunctional dysfunctions
- Types of Oro-myofunctional dysfunctions
- Practical exercises in training with the Force scale, Payne technic and Myoscanner
- OMFT-protocol: Practical training with all logopedic exercises to be used for the treatment of oro-myofunctional disorders
- Review of a lot of OMFT cases and discussions how to treat them properly
- Practical training in recognizing deviate dental form due to deviate function
- If possible clinical training with some Local OMFT-patients (brought in by the participants)
Liset Maas-Houtekamer, SLP
Graduated in 1991 at Limburg SLP school. As of February 1992, she has been working as a all-round SLP in the district of Zeeland. As of 2010 her special topic of her interests is Oro-myofunctional therapy (OMFT). She has been attending a lot of post-graduate courses in this field. In June 2015 she was registered as the first SLP in the Netherlands with her work primairily limited to OMFT. In September 2014 she opened a branch office in Middelburg where her work is limited to OMFT.
Dr. Berry Verlinden, Dentist
Prostodontist, Implantologist, Fellow Int. College of Dentists, Lecturer Myofunctional Studies. After graduating Dental School at Utrecht University, he started a office for Integrated Dental Services, specialised in Gnathological, Prostodontic and Functional Problems. He had a private clinic for Implantology. He was Secretary of the Board of Dutch Society of Postgraduate Courses in the Netherlands.
For more information about OMFT: www.OMFT.info
Suitable for: Speech Language Pathologists, ENT specialists, Buteyko teachers, Physiotherapists, occupational therapists Dentists (children dentistry), Dental hygienist, Dental assistants, Orthodontists
Date: 15.08-17.08 2018
Number of attendees: 16-20 (+ 2 organizers)
Registration deadline: 01.08 2018
Venue: Odin Havnepark, Lumbyvej 11, 5100 Odense
Accomodation: not included
Price*: DKK 5.325 (excl. VAT) / Kr 6.656 (incl VAT)
Course material (syllabus on paper): It is recommended (but not a requirement) to buy the written material.
Price: 55 euro – to be paid in cash to the speakers during the course.